Friday, August 20, 2010

7 Quick Takes


1.  Just got done with an interviewing stint with Elmira Heights.  I thought the first interview sucked and they called me back for a second one with the superintendent.  I thought the second interview went well, and before I got into my driveway I already received the voice mail telling me that they found a "more experienced candidate" for the job.  Big surprise there.  The more I interview and apply for public schools, the more I am upset with their treatment of their potential employees.  The private and Christian schools that I've interviewed with actually try to validate you as an intelligent human being.

2.  While on the education note, school is quickly approaching and I couldn't be more delighted.  Even though I won't be teaching full time, I'm eager to do more tutoring and start subbing again.  I'm quite bored around the house and engaging with the youth should change that dramatically.  More than once I've thought how "my 8th graders" are doing, and I need to remember that they are 9th graders now.  Kinda relatedly, I'm anxiously awaiting the test score of the one girl who I tutored this summer.

3.  A bit late on this, but last week a girl came knocking on our door asking for a ride to one of the county courthouses.  She couldn't have been more than 17 - 18 tops - and I was saddened that someone of her age is already having to attend court dates.  Hopefully the Holy Spirit will move into her and redirect her life.  I did as much as I could on the ride to not sound like an over-zealous Christian with the hope she'd be curious, but I think she had other things on her mind.

4.  Good Shepherd is preparing to ramp up its Fall programs and it looks like I'll be teaching a Sunday school class for 9-12 year olds and leading a small Bible study group when October rears its ugly (and cold) head.  I am looking forward to both and I wouldn't be surprised if they are the reason why I haven't been so fortunate in finding NY teaching jobs.

5.  Our new cat, Penelo, finally as a nickname: Bad.  She's fairly docile and happy when it comes to being with people, but she respects no property or possessions.  And we're still trying to teach her how to not wake us up in the middle of the morning.  The nights that aren't successful are always disastrous and destructive.  I'm hoping this is just a kitten phase that she'll grow out of soon (but not soon enough).

6.  My friend Tom has landed in South Korea and has already started teaching.  Please keep him in your prayers if you know him (or even if you don't), because this is a big step of faith for him and he also isn't a fan of spicy Asian food.  It's going to be a long year for him.  Also, my brother-in-law, Adam starts his second year of college, but his first official year in his new major.  Pray for him that he does well in all his classes.

7.  Andrea and I are going on vacation starting Sunday.  Don't confuse this with the "vacation" that Andrea took earlier in the summer.  Although Andrea wasn't working, she still did a lot of work around the house and it barely seemed restful or relaxing.  We'll be heading up to Cayuga Lake, visiting Kenni in Rochester and also going on some fun little adventures.  It's going to be great.

Just for reference, this originally my own.  A woman named Jen started it, so her's will be linked down here every week when I do this.  And no, I don't know who Jen is.

Enjoy the end of summer everyone, there isn't much more left.

No comments:

Post a Comment