Monday, December 20, 2010

7 Out-of-Place Quick Takes

Because I don't have time to write a blog about each one of these at length, here's an abbreviation of all my most common blog features.

-ONE: End of the Semester-
My first semester of BCC ended in a bittersweet way.  I saw some students work themselves out of a pit while others dug themselves into one.  Even though I was told by other instructors that this would happen, it is still frustrating for me to see.  This is especially true for the students that I know are capable of passing, but instead chose not to for a variety of reasons - both the good and poor reasons.

-TWO: New Music-
My radio station of choice in the Southern Tier, The Effect (88.1), broke the mold of playing modern Christian rock and slipped in two or three Christian rap songs, including the one below by Trip Lee.  I took the liberty to listen to the rest of the album - Between Two Worlds - on YouTube and I was very pleased.   Now I have something to mix John Reuben up with.

-THREE: Cheap Change #5-
Sometime near Thanksgiving, Andrea and I were graciously given scratch off lottery cards from her Grandma that she had won from a local raffle.  We used the $4 to tip CyberWest Cafe, buy some chocolate bars for some child's fundraiser and get Hornell's best kept secret: the 75-cent car wash.  Not more than three days ago, Mr. Nealson gave us another survey to give information about our (lack of) television watching.  Also included was the $2 initiative to turn the survey back in.  And speaking of sending money in the mail, why did the Disabled Veterans of America send Andrea fancy mailing stickers and a nickel... twice?

Cheap Change #5: $6.10
Cheap Change Total: $62.29

-FOUR: Other Money Considerations-
Our church, like many churches this time of year, made us aware of our financial situation and followed it up by dedicating a sermon to tithing.  I know I have written about tithing before in r2r, but at this particular time, I found myself wholly convicted by by the Holy Spirit to actually start tithing myself.  Up until landing the job at BCC, Andrea and I have been saving every penny to fend off the bills, loans and costs of living.  But now that our situation has stabilized, I'm looking forward to dedicating myself to my church on another level.

-FIVE: Cleaning House-
I love to host the New Years Party.  Maybe it's the concluding holiday of a busy month and a half rush, or being around a less-stressing environment than what my family provides, but none-the-less, I've made it my thing.  It also doubles as a motivation to clean up the entire house.  Right now, I've only gone through some smaller tasks, but before too long, I'll be cleaning, dusting and washing everything before the New Year - and probably not to a single thing again until after the last snowfall.

-SIX: Andrea's B-Day Party-
In typical Andrea birthday party fashion, I managed to mess it up this year by planning a party at Midway Lanes in Vestal.  I'm telling you the place because I was treated poorly there for reasons I am still in loss over.  So when I do go bowling again, I know where I am NOT going.  However, I am thankful that once some lanes were made available for us, everyone appeared to have enjoyed themselves.  To top it off, my present for her came in the mail 4 days after her birthday even though I had ordered it a full week before.  Happy 25 years, Andrea!

-SEVEN: Christmas Decoration-
Before Andrea's birthday we had successfully decorated the living room to fit the Christmas spirit.  The cat has also enjoyed all the little things she can knock to the floor.  Even as I am writing this, Andrea is in the middle of a Christmas cookie royal-rumble.  If not for the food and other yummies consumed during this time of year, it wouldn't be worth all the madness provided by commercial and familial expectation.

Have a happy Christmas and a merry New Year if I don't get another entry for 2010!

2 comments:

  1. I think you'll be surprised at how easy tithing is despite being cash-strapped. In fact, I've never heard anyone be like, "I tried that, but I ran out of money and ended up late on my car payments" - instead, I've heard some really inspiring stories of God providing enough.

    Also, I know what you mean about BCC. I literally had to fail almost half of one of my sections (nine out of the nineteen still on the roster), and they were the class that'd done the best work for the first two projects at least.

    Also, we all heart the New Year's party. I can't wait to make stuff for it.

    -K

    ReplyDelete