Saturday, January 14, 2012

Recommitted to Blogging

I haven't wrote in a bit, so here's what's going on:

1.  I feel as though Advent went by so quickly this year.  In a blink of an eye, it went from November to January.  Apart from the more joyful of days, it was a period I'd rather forget.  It was way too stressful and Andrea was sick through 75% of it.  Next year, I'm praying for something more thoughtful, subdued and relaxing.

2.  As New Year approached, I decided to make some reasonable goals for myself this year.  When it comes to this sort of thing, I tend to make three, each based on a spiritual, mental, or physical aspect.  To make them a bit more official and to be held accountable for it, I'll list them publicly.
  1. Read through my Bible, cover to cover, in 1 to 2 years, starting January 1, 2011.  I know this will make our Pastor happy who has been preaching this for the last few Sundays.  Although this is something I did back in 2003-2004, I read hastily without absorbing what I was reading.  This time, I want to make it more meaningful so I can actually remember the main points of what I'm reading.  So please pray that God leads me through this with strength and grace.  I'm currently at Genesis 5.
  2. Although it may seem out of place, I want to blog more.  The main reason for blogging to to help me reflect on what is on my mind, and sharing with others who don't live nearby.  If I'm not taking time to be still and listen to what God is saying to me, I know that I run the risk of following false idols and wasting time that could be used for serving and building-up others.  Look for about 3-4 blogs a week.
     
  3. Lastly, I'm aiming to be more physically active, especially during the summer.  Ideally, I'd like to gain about 5 to 10 pounds of muscle, but I'm not sure how to measure that.  However, I know that means I need to eat healthier, ride my bike often, and find someplace to some weight training during the colder months.  If anyone has any suggestions or wants to work out with me on any regular basis, get a hold of me.
3.  I rediscovered a website that will help me assess student understanding.  Behold, Khan Academy is probably the single most expansive and engaging math education website that I ever experienced.  Not only is it a non-for-profit endeavor, but sometime in the last year or two, they added a feature where you could add someone as a "coach," and that allows that person to oversee your progress.  I've encourage students to add me and watch math videos and do exercises for extra credit.  Although small for the time being, it does seem to grow on a regular basis.  I have about 5-10 committed students.

4.  The Pittsburgh Penguin hockey team has been doing miserable lately.  After being consider a top and elite club, we have fallen out of the playoff picture and lost six straight, until winning against Florida last night.  The chief reason for the losses has been due to the fact that a third of the team is not playing due to some injury.  I'm looking forward to having a full and healthy roster again this Spring in time for the playoffs... if we make it.

5.  Got a nice collection of music for Christmas and expecting another CD or two for my upcoming birthday.  Don't be surprised if you see some music posts soon. 

6.  Andrea and I celebrated our 3-year anniversary this week.  I'm continually amazed and blessed to have Andrea as a wife and pray that I can be a blessing to her in equal amounts as she has been a blessing to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment