Saturday, December 15, 2012

Should I Send This E-Mail to My Students?

Update: Thanks to everyone who commented on Facebook.  I've always used blogging as a way to help think through my own thoughts, and having additional perspectives from such wonderful people is highly valued and a blessing to me!  Here's the final product.


To My Precious Students,

I wanted to write this short message to you to let you know that I earnestly hope that we will never have to personally experience what happened last Friday in Newtown, CT at any of our schools.  As more details are being released about what happened at Sandy Hook Elementary, my heart breaks for the entire community of children, parents and staff that will have to endure this tragedy long after the last of the press and media leave.  However, please be reminded that without a doubt, our first priority at Vestal is to ensure your safety – and we would do so by the same means and actions that the staff took at Sandy Hook if necessary.

Personally, I and many other teachers entered the profession because we love working with you, our students.  As a result, this means we end up spending more with you than our own families.  It’s not always put into words, but that means is that we are not only here to educate you, but we also care and love you a lot as well – even as our own children.

If you are interested in having a conversation about what happened at Sandy Hook, I imagine many of the teachers would be open for dialogue, providing the appropriate time.  I would also be open for conversations with any of you outside class time when I return.  Additionally, you are always welcome to talk to any one of the guidance counselors this week.  They care a lot for you, too, even though you don’t see them every day.

Lastly, please strive to be kind to one another, and show respect for your fellow students as well as the staff.  Compassion is a virtue that heals hurting hearts.  And when you go home every day, make sure to tell your families that you love them.

I am sending this to all of my students, so please be sure to share this with your classmates.  Have a restful and peaceful vacation, and I’m looking forward to teaching you again when I return in January.

Mr. Kovac   

No comments:

Post a Comment