Monday, September 2, 2013

Goodbye, Summer Vacation!

As summer comes to a close, I'm rather content with how my vacation has turned out.  Here's the short of it:

1.  Spending my time with Evelyn has been the greatest source of blessing and frustration.  During the time that I've been at home, she has gone from barely mobile to a high-energy crawler.  She likes being held up so we can walk with assistance, mostly detests eating, and puts her mouth over everything.  She's delightfully cute, makes funny noises, and wants bathtime to last for 3 hours.  Basically, it's been a joy, even through she's a lot of work.  I'll simultaneously miss it, but I'm also excited to be in the classroom again.

2.  After doing no summer trips the last two years, we did two this year - one week at the Outer Banks, and another on Cayuga Lake.  Both were fun, enjoyable and relaxing.  However, with all the hassle to get to North Carolina, plus ridding with a 7-month old in the car, I don't know if it's a trip I would take again.  Spending time at the lake with Grandma is always worth it - it's the first thing I think about when I think of summer... which is usually in the middle of February.

3.  We visited and were visited by friends (who we need to see more often).  Got to see a number of college friends over the summer.  Most of them were gracious enough to visit us here, but we did get to see a few more out on the road.  As Evelyn gets older and able to handle some 3-6 hours trips in the car, hopefully our ability to show her more of the world increases as well.  Looking forward to sharing these moments with both friends and family.

4.  The more disappointing part of the summer is that almost no geocaching or bicycling happened.  Turns out that if you have a baby sitting around the house, a few of your favorite activities have to suffer for the short term.  I'll have to make up for it next year.

Next time I post, I'll be teaching!  Got some finishing touches to do for school, and maybe a lawn to mow if the weather can hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment