Friday, September 17, 2010

7 Quick Takes


-ONE-
After working at BCC for four weeks now, everything seems to be running smoothly and successfully.  I'm finally working at a job I enjoy and I think most of the students are picking up well on the material.  Never did I think I would be teaching at a college and I certainly didn't think I would have this much fun doing it.  My only regret is that I don't have more classes - maybe next semester.

-TWO-
My mom came down from Vermont last night on another "all-of-a-sudden-but-for-no-reason" visit.  Pleasantly, it looks like Jeff (my mom's boyfriend) is getting a promotion and possibly moving someplace closer to Binghamton.  Both Mom and Jeff seem delighted by the news.  I wouldn't mind if she lived a bit closer either, because I think she would enjoy being involved in the many activities that our church does.  My prayers are in God's hands.

-THREE-
Saturday's End of Summer and ice cream party seemed to have gone well.  Although it was not the usual bunch of people we have during these parties, it was refreshing and enjoyable to see some new faces and different interactions.  Tomorrow, Andrea and I are going to another party with many of the same people invited (and this time going)!  Should be great.

-FOUR-
OH! And I can't believe I didn't remember until now, but our team - with all members attending, for once - finally won trivia on Monday night.  Although I didn't really help too much, it was fun after so many weeks of going to be on the winning side.  Notable highlights: I knew who the 2006 Sexiest Male (George Clooney), and the 90s boxer with the nickname "The Real Deal" (Holyfield).  We return this Monday night to defend our (possible fluke) victory.

-FIVE-
I start teaching my Sunday School class in two days and I don't know what my first lesson is or what the overall objectives are going to be.  Last Sunday I received a model of the Second Biblical temple that was supposed to serve as a guide for many, many weeks of Old Testament explorations in Christian symbolism.  However, upon reading about Solomon's Temple in the Bible, I came to the conclusion that the Second Biblical temple was the one started by Ezra and Nehemiah, then extended on by Herod, which is why it's most commonly known has "Herod's Temple."   So now I'm up the creek.  At least I have a really sweet Biblical timeline wrapping around the classroom, maybe I'll do something with that.

-SIX-
I was reading an article this morning about how NYSEG (or REG RG&E, if you're from Rochester), will be increasing rate hikes.  Listen, I know its a recession and we already have one of the highest utility bills in the country.  Walk a bit in their shoes.  This is the first rate hike in 17 years; if you're working for a company for 17 years, how'd you feel about it?  This is overdue, and besides, "death and taxes."  If you're really upset about it, turn down the heat a few degrees, turn off the AC, take shorter showers, etc.  Maybe now it'll be a good time to start looking into some personal, alternative energy sources instead of buying that very unnecessary big screen TV.

-SEVEN-
Because I hate doing it during the final months, I have already started my Christmas shopping and putting together my Christmas list.  In every year since college, I have been told that I am a difficult person to shop for.  Well, I'm making up for it this year; my personal want list has already started.  No whining this year!  

3 comments:

  1. When I lived in Rochester, it was RG&E. But that wasn't the same company, I don't think.

    -Kellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Wait, never mind, yes it is. Sorry, I hadn't read the article before I commented.)

    ReplyDelete