Friday, September 3, 2010

Gotta Hurry, Friday is almost over!


-- ONE --
Apart from not having an e-mail address for a week and half and a key that doesn't unlock my office, teaching at BCC has been a great experience so far.  I don't think the students (will) think the same once I get done grading their quizzes today, but I'm very thankful and happy about the opportunity to work there.

-- TWO --
My car (the Saturn) has been smelling like melting chemicals over the past few weeks.  Turns out that was my cabin air filter doing just that.  I had the time this week to take my monthly Midus trip and got everything taken care of.  Now it smells like minty, melting chemicals. Mmmmm, so good!

-- THREE --
Didn't go to church last Sunday and I'm regretting that I didn't for beyond the obvious reasons of going.  Our pastor cut his Achilles tendon clean in half the previous Saturday and missed his sermon while hyped up on pain medications.  Worse yet, he still hasn't had surgery and won't be until Wednesday.  Pray for his safe recovery and the family's sanity.

-- FOUR --
Got a letter from Harpursville about the new substitute procedures.  No, I won't bore you with that.  I just want to mention that NYS public schools start 5 days from today and I'm excited to be subbing there again.  Although I probably won't enjoy it more than teaching at BCC.  Currently, it looks like I'm only registered to sub at Harpursville and Broome-Tioga BOCES.  I'm not counting Union-Endicott until they actually call me someday: 2 months and counting.  I heard about subs needed at Chenango Forks.  Maybe I'll take my business there.

-- FIVE --
Tomorrow is my last day of work at JCPenney's. I'm thrilled beyond words.  There will be a separate entry about that later next week though.  No spoilers here.

-- SIX --
There has been a spirit of refreshment and renewal going around in my area of the neighborhood lately.  This week the loud neighbors next door were evicted, Andrea and I cleaned and rearranged our apartment, the downstairs neighbors cleaned and rearranged their apartment, and the landlord hired a guy who owns about 5 different chainsaws to cut down all the misbehaving trees that near or (in some cases) in our apartment, but also taking extra care to trim and maintenance all the beautiful and nicely-behaved trees.  When I came home to the sight, I envied him for owning so many chainsaws.  sigh.

-- SEVEN --
I took my only summer student out for ice cream today to celebrate her passing the Algebra 2 and Trig regents.  We went to Pat Mitchel's in Endicott (not Binghamton), and it was the best ice cream I've had while living in the Southern Tier -- hands down.  We also had some great conversation as well.  As thankful as she was for my tutoring service, I am just as thankful (if not more so) to be given the chance to teach and watch her succeed.  It gave me a confidence boost in my early teaching career and paying for a lick of ice cream in the dog days of summer was more than worth it.

The end of summer is upon us.  Before you know it, we'll be in the middle of our eight months of winter.


Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment