Friday, February 25, 2011

Three Thoughts for Friday

I would really like to see some replies and responses to some of these things.  They have been heavy on my mind as of late:


-ONE-
After reading a particular article posted by a friend on Facebook, I cannot help but think of the generation of men that have risen up around me.  I am a 25-year-old male and I am right in the middle of this.  As I was reading, I could help but silently confirm what was being written.  In other words, I related to this article.  I can think of too many people – by relation and acquaintance – who are in this between state of teenager and mature adult.  Before you point fingers at me for being “ over-righteous,” to a lesser extent, I include myself.  There have been far too many times in my life when I should have made more mature personal and professional decisions.  I know we all make poor choices, but what really burns in me is the thought, "How are we going to turn around?"

-TWO-
As a result to a conversation had with another friend, I am beginning to wonder, “What is the purpose of education?”  Since 2008, I have actively engaged in a multitude of teaching communities, where emphasis has been placed on a variety of learning and teaching styles, methods and philosophies.  However, I’m starting if our society as a whole has lost the focus of what learning is all about.  Tests are great assessments, but by no means should they ever be treated as an indicator or a measure of growth; yet, that is exactly what they are across the country.  Teaching is a very social and relational occupation and because of that innate aspect, educators, especially in the primary and secondary levels, need to place less demand on retention of material.  Instead, I would much rather see educators offering opportunity cultivate godly virtues while also giving students time to discover the joy life-long learning through more independent methods.

-THREE-
On a personal note, I would like publicly confess that I am trying to be more loving of the people around me.  Maybe this is what I am trying to say:  I feel as though I have failed to be a good witness and a good friend.  Particularly, I feel as though I only love those who could love me in return.  But love has never and will never be about doing something with ulterior motives.  Love is reckless, spontaneous and has no favoritism; love is also patient, steady and kind.  I have wasted opportunities to share with God’s love with people who I have been in contact with, and I have failed to give my love to longer lasting relationships.  So please pray for me that I may love others in the same way that God loves them.

No comments:

Post a Comment