Friday, November 12, 2010

7 Quick Takes


-ONE-
All eyes are set on the annual IV Squaredance in Alfred tonight.  Not only will this be a wonderful time to catch up with current Alfred-IV students, but there will be a decent number of alum there also.  But the days of catching up with old friends in this manner, I fear, is coming to an end.  Those who were freshman when I was a senior are seniors themselves now.  Although I am proud of their academic and spiritual growth, its going sobering in some regards to not have everyone together like that until Heaven comes down.

-TWO-
And speaking of Heaven, the Saturn is now completely out of our lives.  The car has been towed and the check has been cashed.  This was our second week as a single-car subscriber and it's been going well so far.  Although driving Andrea to and from work has been time consuming, it's been nice to have that downtime to talk with her. What I'm really waiting for is for Spring to get here so I can ride my bike that I don't have yet.

-THREE-
My Christmas shopping is already half done and its nearly halfway to November.  I'm running a good pace, but I need to pick it up if I'm going to be finished by Black Friday.  I predict next weekend will be a big step in getting that done.

-FOUR-
Both of my Spring classes at BCC are filling up at reasonable paces.  Already, I am starting to think about the work that is going to be involved in having two different sections.  So I have prepped myself to have everything for the Fall Semester done before the end of November - about 2 weeks before the end of the semester.

-FIVE-
Having one car though has not stopped me from sub-teaching.  Wednesday, I went in to sub for a special education teacher.  Lately, I've had pretty good luck calming and maintaining the children and their different "learning opportunities."  But Wednesday morning, I got spit on by a 5 year old girl.  I (still) enjoy working with the special education and disabled children, but the incident reminded me that I wouldn't be cut out for the special education profession.  Also also, they don't pay those teachers enough.

-SIX-
I can't believe that I forgot but... our team won at trivia on Monday night.  Even more remarkably, I found myself somewhat contributing to the victory.  I know roughly how many blades of grass are in an acre (174,440,448) and who won the Stanley Cup in 2008-9 (GO PENS!), both of which were questions which fell into my field of expertise -- pun intended.

-SEVEN-
I don't think I've updated recently about Mission Group or Sunday School.  Both of which have been going very well.  Mission Group in particular has been growing and thinking about my spiritual life (privately and publicly) in ways I haven't before.  Also, it is important to note that all of us our 20 - 39 year olds who are still trying to figure out where we fit in the scary outside world.  So between our really big ideas and self searching, there is plenty to talk about.

If you're looking for more quick takes... see Jen.

No comments:

Post a Comment