Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Life Changing Events!

As if from out of nowhere, life has accelerated very quickly in the Kovac household.  With my full-time employment at Vestal school district, changes are happening rapidly and quickly.

The first change was the bittersweet departure of BCC.  Almost a year to the very date of my new employment, I was asked to adjunct a developmental math class.  It was a huge blessing at the time and acted as reassurance to both Andrea and I that we were supposed to be in Binghamton another year longer.  Despite trying to increase my credit load, it never happened and the possibility to earn full-time employment through the community college seemed slim at best.  So on the Wednesday before classes, I dropped off my paperwork and keys, gave a fond farewell to the chair and secretary, and prayed over the office and department.  I hope that my travels will bring me back, however if I never return, I'll know never to bad mouth community colleges again.  They are a special and unique place that honestly serve communities better that most other social organizations that claim to do the same.

Since it was about that time anyway, the living room and back porch are getting a much needed face lift.  Both Andrea and I enjoy rearranging furniture and decor.  To me at least, moving stuff around helps keep the apartment fresh and new, while also representing (in a way) a new season of our life.  As for the back porch, it's been due for some serious renovations.  The paint has been peeling off the floor ever since we moved in and since our landlord hasn't decided to do anything about it, I'm taking the initiative myself while also honing my home improvement abilities.

As God would have it, the truck that we have been "borrowing" from the church lost it's transmission, leaving us with one car again.  With the financial support of a new job and the previous experience of buying a vehicle, purchasing another used car wasn't as difficult or stressful this time around.  When we finally pick it up, I'll write another eulogy and pictures of the soon-to-be-deceased truck.

But the most significant change this week has been in attitude and spirit.  This employment, above all other things it represents, is an answer to years of prayer.  The job, the pay and the benefits are obviously nice, but more important is that we have been provided means and comfort of staying in Binghamton to raise a family.  We're already so committed to Good Shepherd and our families and other loved ones are so close by.  To remain here with a clear purpose and direction is a blessing from God that will be told over and over again to friends, family and children.  And the central message of that blessing will be how God provided and is worth of praise.

Soli Deo gloria

2 comments: