Friday, August 5, 2011

7 Quick Takes: 2011 #8

-ONE-
As my one and only summer session closes next Thursday, I'm realizing that this has been my favorite group of students I've had thus far.  There have been a few rough spots, but all and all, many of them are starting to realize that they CAN do math, even when it has escaped them in the past.  My only regret is that I won't be able to follow them into their next course.  I pray the professor cares as much about them as I do.

-TWO-
In the midst of preparing for an interview, I found out that when my backs against the wall, I'm still able to get things done.  However, unlike in college where I had few obligations, I found myself very tired and worn down after three intense days of preparation and little sleep.  In addition, I let a few important e-mails and spiritual disciplines seep through the cracks.  In reflection of that, I feel tremendously guilty, especially in response to how the interview went.  God won't give us more than we can handle.  Stay true to God and He will certainly carry you through thick and thin.

-THREE-
The mini-vacation in Rhode Island was great.  Between the great company, hospitality, and fellowship, the smell and sounds of the ocean were soothing to me in a time of great stress.  And even the long ride to and from Rhode Island wasn't too bad.  I'll hold off on the details now and post up pictures and a more thorough adventure later, but I will say this: having Tom in the car with us was a great opportunity to catch up with a great guy who has spent the last year on the other side of the world.  

-FOUR-
In addition to the workaholic problems, there have been small holes in my heart that need to get filled.  Our Bible study hasn't meet in over a month, but we're scheduled to meet again in full next Wednesday.  I'm looking very forward to meeting regularly with everyone again.  I've missed it tons.  And I also haven't biked in almost two weeks.  So I'll definitely be looking forward to next week bringing some schedule and normality back into my life.

-FIVE-
I know I'm slow on the uptake, but I just discovered this tidbit from Linkin Park.  I like it a lot.  Even though its not the same sound as their old stuff, I'm delighted they managed to throw together a single that doesn't involve swears again.  The video is pretty cool, too.

-SIX-
Another soon to be post will be the book I finished when I was at Rhode Island.  High marks for The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind.  If you like children, social justice, African culture, and/or wind turbines you'll like this book.  I couldn't put it down.

-SEVEN-
Despite this week's earlier breakdown, this has been one of the best summers in a while.  Good weather, lots of trips, and awesome friends.  But I'm not giving up on it yet!  We still have a solid month left.  Enjoy!

For more quick takes, see Jen.

1 comment:

  1. As someone who doesn't have a mathematical gene to speak of, I'm impressed you were able to convince students that they CAN do math!

    I may not like math, but I love to read ... I'll have to check out that book.

    ReplyDelete