Thursday, July 10, 2014

A Better Proposition

I ended the previous blog a bit precariously on purpose.  Writing all these entries in hindsight allows me to play around with the timeline a bit, and I’m finding that enjoyable.  So humor me a little bit as I indulge myself here; its fun to write like this.

Almost like a reward for the ridiculous circumstances in my previous interview, God prompted another private Christian school in Virginia to call me the very next day (Monday) after I sent the e-mail (but unlike the last school, this one actually does believe in the Bible).  After some brief conversation, we scheduled a Skype interview for the following day.  

Only, something very different happened and unexpected at what I thought was the end of the interview.  The Headmaster of the school dismissed his colleagues, but requested that I stay online with him to talk about further matters.  I told him about my misfortunes at Vestal, and he countered with a list of expectations of their teachers that would make any public teacher in New York State instantly jealous.  As we started talking salary though, we ran into some conflict.  Predictably, I was asking for too much than what they had to give me.  At this point, I expected the conversation would be over and I’d be waiting for the next call from another school.

Only, something very beautiful happened.  We both expressed a mutual wanting to make the position work for all parties and a mutual disappointment if something couldn’t be reached.  So we started talking about numbers and creative ways to increase the salary.  By the end of the negotiation, I left with a promise of a decent-enough paying job (and some exciting additional obligations) and soon-to-be-coming offer, and he left with a high performing (and ruggedly good-looking) math teacher at his school next year.  In contrast to my experience at Vestal, the beauty came through our collective ability to work through a conflict and create a result where everyone feels good about what happened:  the elusive win-win.  Before even starting my first day, I know I’m working with a school that doesn’t fear conflict, and is willing to honestly work towards real and effective solutions.

Only four days after the initial interest phone call, I was presented an official offer.  After the weekend to talk it over with Andrea, I accepted my position the following Monday, though I still can't help but chuckle at the timing.  What was supposed to be my first official day of unemployment became the day that I accepted an offer to teach.  Although the way everything has been happening isn’t my first choice in any respects, I’m comfortable enough at this point to say that God has been faithful and gracious; certainly God calls His faithful to venture out to unknown places and uncomfortable situations.  In due time, I'm sure His purpose and will to be clarified daily.

Before dealing with the stresses of relocation, there is still some unfinished business to take care of…

No comments:

Post a Comment