Wednesday, July 9, 2014

An Interesting Interview

As I already mentioned here before, I've given up on the disappointing interviews and non-calls from public schools within state lines, so I've been working alongside the STA to find a school that wouldn’t judge my teaching based on my troubled past, but instead on my credentials, qualifications and promising potential. 

The first place that showed some interest was a private Christian school in Virginia.  After what I thought was an excellent Friday interview over Skype, I was given a simple assignment.  Check out that school’s church’s website, and give some feedback on a few of the sermons.  “Simple enough,” I thought.  I already had done some researching of my own on both the school’s and the church’s website, and was mainly impressed apart from a few minor things. Knowing that no church is perfect (not even Good Shepherd), I was willing to glance over that for the time being.  I even thought it wonderful that I might not only find employment through this school, but also find a church as well.  You know… the whole two-birds-and-one-stone thing.

So when Evelyn went down for her nap on the following Saturday afternoon, Andrea and I listened to the first sermon, which was given on Father’s Day so it was about relationships that Fathers should have.  Admittedly, I was a bit skeptic before listening to a Father’s Day sermon because I think they are inherently corny.  But this one wasn’t too bad (barring a few Biblical understatements) and I felt it addressed a predominant issue concerning church-going men in general.

But for more assurance, I decided to listen to the sermon the week before that to get an idea of what type of preaching happened on a non-holiday.  I was, to the say the least, shocked. Without having to repeat myself, here is an edited excerpt of the e-mail I sent my interviewer.

Mr. _______,  
As for the  message, it was very hard for me to watch it because I adamantly disagreed with many of the pastor's points, the chief of which dealt with his interpretation and use of the Bible.  Although the Bible is not God, the Bible is God's infallible and living Word and it is our best and only resource that Christians have in being able to interpret the will of God, from daily spiritual living to the accountability of a church and their leaders.  Unless there is an issue within your church where you have too many Christians reading and memorizing the Bible exclusively, that long exposition taken to undermine the Bible seemed excessive and unnecessary and to be honest, frightening as a Christian.  
I have been to many churches across a number of denominations, but I have never been a part of a church body where the Bible was being read too much; in fact, it seems as though American Christians in particular know practically nothing about their Bible, let alone knowing it deeply.  I know that you are not advising to neglect Bible studies, however, I find it difficult to believe that people don't read anything but the Bible and the Bible alone in this day and age.  Although I am not ordained as a pastor or priest, if I were, I would much rather have a church that knows their Bible too much, than not enough.  From that standpoint, you really could lead a church to do many great things across the community - especially in the building of disciples.  
The last major thing I noticed in both sermons is that there seems to be a large emphasis on human will and overcoming difficulties with more personal strength and effort.  Before and after committing my life to Christ, I lacked no ambition to put my all into everything.  In fact, that is how I was raised.  Whether it is raising a family, teaching people mathematics, or assisting and serving my church, I (unfortunately) pride myself greatly on my efforts and completed tasks.  Simply, I have never been accused of not working hard or trying my best; in everything I do, I do it for the Lord.  Because of my obvious and glaring failures in life, I know that I need something more than myself to produce anything good.  Sometimes my best efforts just aren't enough, and that is why Jesus teaches us to be repentant and dependent on him.  A reliance on self is the sin of pride, which we should count as loss.  When we rely on our own effort and strength, we are attempting to bend God to our will and that is a sin.  That is why Jesus prays, "Not my will be done, but yours."  It is a beautiful, powerful, and transforming prayer for us to adopt as well.  If the pastor's point here was to urge an apathetic or lazy church into action, then the message should not be for them to rely on their own strength to gain success.  We have already tried, and we have already failed.  Instead, we should be rely on the only thing we know that is dependable, which is God's sufficient grace.  So then if we fail, we are not destitute with ourselves or disappointed with our outcomes, but instead, comforted that Jesus still continues to love us despite our (many) failures.  Regardless of our efforts, the will of God always happens. 
I know that writing this next statement probably kills my chances of getting the job, and I'm fully prepared for that fact.  However I'm going to say it anyways; I know that my wife and I would not feel comfortable becoming members of your church, and if offered the job, we have already decided on looking for another church to further our walk with God.  I told you in my interview that I'm always honest with my students, but the same goes with my co-workers and administration as well.  
I know this response may seem harsh and uncomfortable, however, I do await a response from you about this.  Thank you for reading my reply all the way through.
Needless to say, it took some bravery knowing it would most likely remove me as a candidate for the position, but it was exhilarating to write.  To make a stand for the Gospel in such a clear and succinct way strengthened my resolve to find a job where I knew we would respect one another mutually.  To accept as job such as that one would ultimately be no better than my situation in Vestal.

No comments:

Post a Comment