Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Kellie's 25th, 18 Theses and Facebook

Had every intention to write in the past two days but simply haven't had the chance.

Saturday we celebrated Kellie's 25th birthday with desserts and games.  Tom made the trip down from Lyons to visit for the night and even stayed for church the next morning.  Although I really enjoy the online study we do, I would very much enjoy having another, and especially close, male friend around here in Binghamton if I end up staying here with employment.  It has been long talked about between Kellie and myself about writing something to Tom explaining why he should move into the area if given the opportunity.  I figured Sunday was a good time to do that.  So I spent a good chunk of my Sunday afternoon writing the most legalistic document I could showing him how serious we are about getting him down.  The document is called "18 Theses." We patiently await his (favorable) answer.

Also, I am increasingly getting sick and tired of Facebook's antics to sell off information.  Before my junior year of college, I was adamantly against Facebook and it's contraptions.  In the matter of four years it has become progressively more annoying and compromising.  The revelation of the "app" has destroyed Facebook and I strongly dislike their changing policies on privacy and information format (how you put in things you like).  Also also, I see Facebook becoming much like what MySpace used to be - a place to toot your own horn.  With the advent of new communicating technology, the best thing we can do with it is tell people how great we are; if it isn't clear, I am not for self-promotion.  Over the past month or so, I have strongly considered deleting my Facebook account, however I hesitate for really only one reason: r2r.  Because Facebook is a social hub, my best efforts spread the gospel and encourage current believers is through that blog.  I don't know if people really read it or not, so perhaps I am worrying over nothing regarding it.  But what if people do read it but never comment?  I simply don't have any better outlet than that.

Kellie and I are forming a group urging people to take a break or leave from Facebook in order that people remove themselves from their self-centered and self-serving habits and do something productive in their (spiritual) lives.  In addition to the group, there is also going to be an event urging people to not log on Facebook in any way, shape or form, to see if they realize they have been missing something.  As a result from that group, I almost surely see myself spending  significantly less time on Facebook.  Perhaps during that time away, I will realize some alternative way to broadcast r2r.

No comments:

Post a Comment