Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Unexpected Kindness

I was working at JCPenney's last night.  Nearing the end of store hours I was (kindly) interrupted by a middle-school aged child asking where she could find a particular top that she had but in a different size.  I was immediately struck by how pleasantly patience her voice was with me as well as how kind she was.  Throughout the whole shirt-finding process, she was thoughtful to continue using her well-learned manners as well as keep an understanding attitude and tone of voice with me.  It was to both our disappointment that we couldn't find what she wanted, but that still didn't change the way she treated me.  This made my night and put a smile on my face because even though we couldn't find what she was looking for, she still treated me as an equal and with dignity.  You'd be hard pressed to find someone similar to her - let alone a 10-12 year old girl.

I'm not the best writer, so maybe the idea that I'm trying to portray isn't getting across well.  If I write to you a portrait of a typical adult customer, maybe I could deepen your understanding.  The typical customer approaches me with an expecting and a demanding attitude.  Granted, any retail employee is expected to serve, but they are, in fact, people wired with feelings and emotions as well.  If said employee is unable to know the exact location of a given object and have it within a few steps away, the customer usually takes on a range of emotions from annoyed to outraged.  Despite the employee's efforts to maintain a friendly demeanor and/or professionalism about the situation, they are usually only rewarded with an empty "thank-you" on a lucky day.

In case my (in)ability to write didn't portray the value of kindness, try watching this YouTube video of Mr. Rogers winning himself $20 million dollars and changing the heart of a mean, hard-hearted senator at the same time.   Witness the power of kindness.  (The program he is talking about is Mr. Roger's Neighborhood.  Notice also the change of attitude by the Senator as the discussion proceeds.)




No comments:

Post a Comment