Friday, January 28, 2011

7 Quick Takes: 2011 #3


-ONE-
Those who are familiar and/or sensitive to good teaching know when you have learned something and enjoyed yourself while doing it.  Yesterday, I had my first notable class session where I saw students smiling, nodding their heads in approval and actually laughing at my jokes.  And this was a statistics class of all types!  Looking forward to more of these days.

-TWO-
Also went back to sub-teaching this week where I returned to a previous assignment that I had visited this year.  Although these particular students are double disadvantaged by being severely autistic and coming from difficult home lives, I could see a maturity and growth that wasn't there a few months ago.  I'm unsure what happens in that classroom most days, but whatever is going on, I could see a good change happening in those four walls.

-THREE-
As of right now, I'm scheduled to teach a section of math at BCC during the summer.  Although I will never take the registration sheets for granted again, I'm hopeful that I won't have depend on Craigslist this summer for teaching experience and employment.  I also was able to talk to the department chair that if I stick around for one more year, they will have to grant me an interview for when an opening does come around.

-FOUR-
Since we're on the theme of employment and optimism, let me crush both hopes right here and mention that there will be fewer teaching openings this year than last year.  I will be looking at public school employment this Spring, but I'll tell you right now that I also filled out the forms necessary to teach at BCC again next fall.  I refuse to put all my eggs in one basket.

-FIVE-
In lighter news, I've been usually looking forward to this weekend.  Tonight, I'll be attending a birthday party of a good friend.  Tomorrow, I plan on a quiet afternoon of lesson plans and a bit of fun.  On Sunday, Andrea and I will be spending another dinner (this time for my recently-passed birthday) and watching the NHL All-Star game.  Can't complain much about that.

-SIX-
Looking forward to filing taxes this season.  No, I'm serious.  My cousin told me that if all the interest off loans can be written off against my taxable income straight up.  "Lo and Behold!" on Line 33 holds my taxation salvation.  I have plenty of student loans and plenty of interest paid this year.  Next year is looking pretty good too.  If you haven't downloaded the forms or instruction booklet, do it and stop waiting until April 15.

-SEVEN-
I've been generally dissatisfied and have found myself (again) logging onto Facebook too often.  So I'm planning on limiting my visits during the month of February.  Hopefully that will straight the ship.  I'll still post blog updates and write messages when  necessary, but if something is urgent, best consider something else.

If you're craving the takes, Jen is your gal.

2 comments:

  1. Come to think of it, you could always throw a resume Davis's way, just in case. If you haven't already.

    -Kellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I haven't thought of that. Couldn't hurt to try right?

    ReplyDelete